Help TinTin In The Fight Against Improper Waste Management In St.Lucia
My Name is Tin Tin and I am the Mascot for the Saint Lucia Solid Waste Management Authority. I am genderless, meaning that I am neither male or female. I teach kids and adults how to take care of their community by practicing good waste disposal habits.
There are no notifications at this time
Waste Management Plan
The Vieux-Fort Solid Waste Management Facility is located at St. Urban in the quarter of Vieux-Fort, adjacent to the National Sporting Stadium along the Vieux-Fort Highway. The site covers some 7.4 hectares (18.97 acres) and is located in a former sand gravel pit.
The site as an open dump from 1995 and was characterized by the following:
- Burning of waste,
- Lack of compaction of waste,
- Non application of daily cover,
- Proliferation of offensive odours,
- Wind blown litter, and
- Uncontrolled scavenging.
From 1998 to present improvements in the operations of the site have been achieved. The site has been upgraded to a waste management facility and low-tech landfill site. Improvements included the following:
- Application of daily cover
- Introduction of cellular filling
- All weather road
- Prohibition of burning
- Installation of an entrance gate
- Construction of a site office
- Provision of amenities e.g. electricity, water and telephone
- Introduction of bi-annual medical check-up and provision of personal protective equipment for staff
- Site service area which house a weighbridge and scale house, maintenance building and inspection bay
- Recycle area which houses a material recovery facility and tyre shredder
- Bulk fuel storage tank
- Wood chipper
Environmental Monitoring The site does not have a leachate collection and management system. An environmental monitoring programme has been instituted to monitor potential negative impacts on the environment. The programme is geared at monitoring leachate migration and surface water quality.